It has been a long transfer window already for Manchester United fans, one that seems to be getting longer as their latest transfer target Marcos Rojo seems that he will now be staying at Sporting Lisbon rather than making the move to Old Trafford.
Ed Woodward and Manchester United held talks with Sporting Lisbon at the start of last week in an attempt to get the deal done before United played their first league match, which they lost against Swansea City on Saturday.
This was a deal that was thought by many, to go through after Marcos Rojo himself refused to play in a friendly for Sporting Lisbon and also didn’t turn up to their training sessions during last week.
The deal for Rojo was a difficult one for all parties involved, the Doyen agency own 75 per cent of Rojo and future moves, Sporting Lisbon were keen to let the defender leave if a club was to meet a release clause of £24million, as of last week, Manchester United had made a £16million bid.
On Sunday evening, Marcos Rojo held a public television appearance to apologies to Sporting Lisbon and their fans for his actions by not turning up to the clubs friendly and training sessions, thought to be wanting a move to United instead.
In his brief apology, Rojo said:
“I was hot-headed and I’m sorry. I’ll be back with the rest of the [Sporting Lisbon] squad tomorrow.”
Despite his apology and return to Sporting’s training, Manchester United are said to still be interested and preparing another bid for the defender, one that is to include Luis Nani.